Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 5: Gonzalez Byass






















 I boarded a public bus this morning from Rota station to Jerez. It's about a 30 minute bus ride. Once I reached there, I basically walked around and decided to see what I could see. The city seemed more active than Rota.

I found my way to the Gonzalez Byass (better known as Tio Pepe), one of the largest and well-known bodegas in the region. As it turns out, Jerez makes up a third of the Sherry Triangle. The other two being Sanlucar and Santa Maria. For a wine to be designated as "sherry" it must come from the area within Sherry Triangle.  Overall, it was an interesting experience from the perspective of learning about sherry as well as figuring out how Spanish public transportation worked.  Day 4, I just hung out in Rota.  Caught up on some administration work and sleep.